White Opal: The Angelic Gem

I have been showing you guys, little by little, some new pieces that are a part of my Fall 2012 collection.  Every week I fall in love (and I hope you do too) with a unique piece, and this time is no different...


For today's piece I have selected something very special, the "Penelope" ring. This piece is made of white opal, blue sapphire (in both faceted and cabochon cuts) and    brilliant diamonds. 

Opal is not commonly used in high jewelry, but there is a new trend emerging and of course I try to b e ahead of all the trends. Natural opal was formed many millions of years ago, when a combination of silica and water flowed into cracks and spaces in the ground. This then gradually hardened and solidified to become the milky white stone used in jewelry today.


White Opal is a stone of angelic connections. It is often used for clearing emotions to create more positive vibrations. It is useful in balancing all chakras. I often get many requests for pieces with this gemstone because it is so highly revered among the healing gems. 

The opal is said to be many things including the most powerful of healing stones, the stone of hope, the stone of great achievement and even the "stone of the Gods". Ancient Romans associated opal with hope and good luck and used it as amulets for their war heroes.



This design for this ring came to me on a beautiful summer day. It purposely reminds me of the beach and the white sands of Hawaii.  I chose black gold again, which is something I have been doing lately in some of my designs, because it is a lovely complement to the blue and the white.  As always this ring is expertly handcrafted in 18kt gold.


A ring like this, as well as other pieces with this gem, takes a little bit of tender loving care. Opals contain water, which makes them very sensitive to heat. They are soft and can be cracked or chipped easily. Opals should be stored in moist absorbent cotton, and should only be cleaned by a professional. As with most jewels, I always recommend avoiding perfumes and heavy cosmetics.  You never know what chemical reaction a beautiful gemstone can have, and how something as innocent as dish soap can ruin your beautiful jewelry.

Hope you feel in love with my "Penelope" ring.  It is truly a splendorous piece, a thing of beauty.  Like all of my pieces it is a small, yet meaningful piece of art that you can carry with you, appreciate and wear all the time.  

Love Always
Dani K


Share this:

CONVERSATION