Fall Preview and a History of Serpents in Jewelry Design

Of all the nature inspired creations I have and have had through the years, one of the most popular ones has always remained the snake or serpent. Here are my new interpretations of my classic statement ring, featuring this mythical creature, along with some folklore and history for my Fall 2013 collection.




The snake, serpent or snake entity is one of the oldest and most widespread mythological creatures in our history. Just think of the story of Adam and Eve to illustrate how long ago this symbol has been in our midst. But snakes are not just evil Biblical creatures, they are magical symbols which have a longstanding association with some of the oldest rituals known to humankind, as well as representing the dual expression of good and evil.





In religion, mythology and even literature, snakes represent fertility or a creative life force. This is why they are so special to me, and also so popular along my clientele of strong independent women. Because of the natural wonder of their skin sloughing, the serpent also represents renewal, rebirth, transformation, immortality and healing.





Snakes are central to mythology because because there is the perception that they are both familiar and exotic. As far as I am concerned, the snake is timeless and symbolic and will always have its place in jewelry design. While serpent motif jewelry goes far back in history, it's popularity really began to spread in the 1840's , peaking in between then and the 1860's. A lot of jewelry featuring snakes was available in the Victorian era.







Because I know of the historical and mythological importance of snakes and serpents, I always try to have one unique piece of serpent inspired design in every collection. This season's rings feature beautiful multicolored gemstones like sapphires, green tsavorite and white diamonds and red rubies. My rings are, as always, handmade by the world's best jewelry makers using the highest condition jewels available, hand selected for quality by me.






The serpent is a very popular motif in jewelry and rightfully so because it has a wonderful mythology behind it. Since ancient times it has been used in imagery and amulets to signify fertility, immortality, and most importantly, it represents the creative life force. They are also guardians and are known to have the fiery quality of dragons, often being used interchangeably with them.




When designing these piece, I took all of the history and lore of the serpent into consideration before even choosing the gemstones I was going to use. The results are these three very spectacular rings, which I think are my best snake designs yet.







Snake and serpent jewelry has been worn since ancient times, so when creating these rings we had to breath new life to an old classic. Snake jewelry is best given as a gesture of good fortune, good health and as a protective charm. It also is known to represent the eternal union between a couple, as well as the never ending love for one another. For me, it was symbol of her femininity and individualism, as well as a high fashion, and luxurious piece of fine jewelry.

I loved designing these very special rings, and the results, as you can see are amazing. Stay tuned for more previews of what is to come in the fall.

Love Always
Dani K

Share this:

CONVERSATION