Under the Sea: Pearl Solitaires

When we think in terms of solitaires, speaking of jewelry of course, the image that comes to mind is that of diamonds, sapphires and even rubies and emeralds.  Even though that is the popular and common imagery, there are other types of solitaires, and today I want to focus on pearls, used in these uber-chic rings, as the main focus of the piece. 




Since June's birthstone is the pearl, I think it's a great idea to focus on nature's first gemstone. Historically, pearls have been used as an adornment for centuries. They were one of the favorite gem materials of the Roman Empire; later in Tudor England, the 1500s were known as the pearl age. Pearls are unique as they are the only gems from living sea creatures and require no faceting or polishing to reveal their natural beauty.

It is due to their rich history and great myth that I love working with pearls.  Pearls are also a great complement to all varieties of gold and diamonds as well.  When I was coming up with the designs you see in this post, I was directly inspired by the sea, the legend of Neptune and made a great effort to keep this ocean and seaside quality in the execution of each piece. 





The first two rings are engulfed in what I envisioned as diamond algae and coral, just like it would be if they existed alone in the bottom of the sea. I also envisioned octopus tentacles, jellyfish and other sea creatures, and the results are the two beautiful creations you see above, one in white diamonds with a spectacular white pearls solitaire, and the other in mixed colored diamonds, rhodium and a grey pearl solitaire. 

My next piece is a double solitaire, one white and one black pearl.  For the setting I went a more simple route, since there are two pearls instead of one.  Both of these pearls are of exceptional quality so I used a simple diamond "tentacle" to highlight each of the pearl's perfection, always keeping alive the under the sea imagery, which was my inspiration in the first place. 

For this ring, I used white gold and white diamonds, and like with all of my pieces, it is handmade by the world's best artisans, using the best materials available, always hand selected by me.  It is this attention to detail and commitment to quality that has been important to me from day one.  




Hope you enjoyed today's post, with my "under the sea" inspiration.  Pearls are a great present from anyone born in June, and also quite apropos for any June bride, since they have been traditionally used in weddings for centuries as a signal of good fortune and purity.  Nothing looks more classic on a bride than pearls. 

Love Always

Dani K

Share this:

, , , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION