Paradise Found: St Barth

Hi guys! I was going through some pictures of a recent trip and want to share with you a my little "secret" spot.  My job is very demanding, and living in Miami can be very draining, so about once a year I try to make it over to one of my favorite destinations: St Barth.  Let me tell you one thing about St Barth, it's fabulous!



The easiest way to get there is to fly from Miami (MIA) to Princess Juliana Airport (SXM) in St Barth's neighboring island of St Maarten.  Once in St Maarten there are three ways to get to St Barth: by small airplane, by ferry, or by private yacht. I've tried all three, and the most convenient way for me has always been the ferry.  The ride over is spectacular and takes about 45 minutes (high speed ferry).

Once you arrive, you realize that you are in one of the most beautiful locales on the planet. The wind is different, the air you breath is different and the people are so friendly, which to me is instant relaxation. I recommend getting your hotel to provide private transport from the port to the hotel.  Once there, I usually rent a car (a convertible, no less) so that I can explore the island at my own leisure.  No matter how many times I go, there is always gorgeous sites and scenery that are new and inspiring to me.

This year I rented a beachfront villa at La Sereno, a very intimate boutique hotel, where the architecture is amazing and the staff superb.   The view from my villa...






Although I could stay there all day taking advantage of the freshwater swimming pool or full service sandy beach, St Barth is a great place to just roam free and explore.  And why not, to let your creative juices flow.  My favorite thing to do is to gab the car and drive around with friends looking for the perfect picnic spot, and believe me, this small island offer plenty of opportunities for this.  My top choice for day-tripping is Governeur Beach.

En route to the beach!

With friends at Governeur Beach

Here, at Governeur, feel free to bust out the Champagne or Rose, as the locals do, because you have arrived to one of the most pristine and exclusive beaches in the world.  You can look everywhere, and other that the yachts that might be anchored on the beach, there is no one there to steal your peace.  Like I said, its a perfect place for a relaxing picnic.  The typical fare in St Barth would be a great lobster club and local fruits and salads.  Don't forget to bring bottled water to keep hydrated (sparkling or still, your choice), because time does fly when you are having fun!





If shopping is more your speed, I guarantee you will tempted in St Barth.  Not only is this a duty free port, but this little island has major shopping.  In fact it has all the luxe labels you can image.  I love Cartier, Dior, Hermes, Vuitton and of course local style star Calypso for flirty dresses and sensuous candles.   The highest concentration of shops is in Gustavia, while the actual shopping centers are in St Jean.

Shopping at Le Carre D'Or


The shopping in St Barth is not just about what you buy, its about the whole experience.   Being in such a spectacular place, with beautiful people everywhere, with the colors, the island style, it's a feast for the senses.  I never leave the island without a visit to my favorite boutiques, or believe it or not my favorite pharmacy La Pharmacie du Gustavia, which carries European organic beauty lines that I can't get in Miami.

The evenings in St Barth are also fantastic.  Diner is usually something delicious caught that afternoon by a local fisherman. I love the Eden Roc for its relaxed yet chic vibe or the Hotel Gustaf.  They both have incredible dining with incomparable views.

Hotel Eden Roc
View from the Lounge at the Gustaf Hotel.
Wether it be sitting by the pool, or riding with the top down, salty wind running through my hair, or even shopping, I love every minute I have spent in this special place.  Thank you for letting me share this with you.  What are some places you love?



Cheers
Dani K

Share this:

CONVERSATION