Papillon 2013

Happy Monday my gems! Hope you spent your weekend having fun and enjoying some relaxing times. I had a great weekend, but of course it's Monday, so I'm back to work. Thanks to my new collection, the last couple of weeks have been very productive, and I have new pieces to share with you. Today I have a fabulous and fresh version of my super popular Papillon ring.




For this season's Papillon ring I tried something a little different. In this version the delicate butterfly wings are designed in rutilated quartz , a gem credited with the power to enhance one's understanding, increase self confidence, and aid in concentration and communication. Quartz is also very powerful and is known to amplify one's psychic energies because it emits an actual electrical charge. If that is not enough, it also aids in relaxing the body and the mind, as well as helping with anxiety.



Although the rutilated quartz wings are beautiful on their own, nothing could complement them better than the champagne and canary diamonds that I chose to surround them. If you look closely you can see my intricate design, which matches that of a true papillon. Diamonds are always beautiful, and add value to a piece of jewelry. They also add powerful mythology and history.




Throughout history diamonds have been known for their extraordinary strength. Most importantly they are associated with true love and eternal commitment. They are also said to bring courage and strength to the wearer, while bringing clarity and balance to the relationship.




One motif that appears historically in art and jewelry, and consistently in my designs is the butterfly. Yes, it is a beautiful creature, but I love it because it is also one of nature's biggest holder of lore and mysticism. When I design a piece it has to not only be stunning, it also has to have meaning. The suggestion of transformation behind the butterfly is a very powerful theme, and one I love to design around. My papillon ring for 2013 is the epitome of this belief.


For ages this natural wonder has symbolized faith, transition, resurection, lightnes, soul and celebration in many cultures. In China, a butterfly means a long life. In Japan they are symbolic of marital bliss, young love or young womanhood. Germans have a very cute myth for butterflies, as they are usually found fluttering about milk pails or butter (butterfly, get it?) churns. They associate them with witches or spirits coming to have some cream, while Greeks link butterflies directly to a person's soul.



Women in general go through many changes (teen years, college, motherhood), and I think that a butterfly amulet is the perfect accompaniment to any of them. This gorgeous and symbolic ring is meant to encapsulate just that, the incredible power a woman has for transformation and change. I like to imagine that a gift like this can be symbolic of a change in someone's life, much like the little caterpillar's journey.

From caterpillar, to egg, to larvae to cocoon, the butterfly emerges with it's new, delicate wings, in full, unfurling glory. The energy it takes to change, and her acceptance of this change, is what is most amazing about this creature and why I like to include it in my designs year after year.

Love Always
Dani K

Share this:

CONVERSATION