Movie of the Week: The Great Gatsby

During this exciting week of the Cannes Movie Festival, let me share with you one of the most romantic works I have ever read: The Great Gatsby. This book has fascinated all of us literature fans with its tales of the glitz and glamour of Jay Gatsby, and his efforts to win the love of his life Daisy. The book is lovely, with epic descriptions of what would be to live in Long Island, during the summer, amongst the filthy rich.



There have already been a few film adaptations of the movie, but none more ambitious that the new Baz Lurman one, currently being shown in theaters everywhere. I have already seen it and is a beautiful film that everyone can enjoy due to its universal theme. Here is Leo Di Caprio as Jay Gatsby, with his ladylove Daisy Buchanan, played by the incomparable Carrey Mulligan. She is so impossibly chic in classic pearls.




The role of dapper Nick Caraway is helmed by Tobey Macguire, looking all grown up. All three protagonists paint a beautiful scene; this is the best Di Caprio has looked in ages.




This time period of the roaring twenties, with its colorful lifestyle, flappers an beautiful art deco jewels is one of my favorites. The wonderful clothes and jewels worn by Daisy (Carrey Mulligan) are simply to die for. The jewelry was done by Tiffany's and it was fabulous. Very inspired. I'm sure this film will have many awards come next season.


Look at the gorgeous pearls and platinum and diamond "Savoy" headband. This is my favorite piece of the movie because it is convertible and you can also use it as a brooch. 



Oh to have lived in those glamorous times! When women were always chic and men were all gentlemen. In Gatsby's world there were always occasions for beautiful jewelry. I think perhaps it might have also been that there were too many!

One of my favorite pieces that I wear when I am feeling Gatsby-esque is the pearl and rock crystal convertible necklace from my private collection. 
Diamonds bursting out of a slick rock crystal ring,
on a strand of perfect white pearls.
Fitzgerald would be proud.

I am definitely channeling Daisy when I wear this out on the town. Another one of my favorite 20's inspired pieces are these diamond and blue topaz chandeliere earrings. So fab!

or these diamond and white gold art deco beauties....



Hope you enjoyed my Gatsby inspired post for today, and that you tune for more Cannes this week and the next.  I already started compiling all the pictures and trends so I can help you get the look of Cannes and so you can see who are my picks for best dressed and best jewelry. Until then...

Love Always
Dani K

Share this:

CONVERSATION